SHOWA LAUNCHES THE BIGGEST BIODEGRADABLE GLOVE RANGE IN THE MARKET WITH ITS REVOLUTIONARY ECO BEST TECHNOLOGY®
SHOWA takes next step in its sustainability commitment and expands its biodegradable product range. Launched across the globe, SHOWA’s Eco Best Technology® gloves offer the same protection, performance and grip as their regular nitrile glove counterparts, but are better for the planet.
MAKING A DIFFERENCE TO THE ENVIRONMENT
As a response to the overwhelming amount of plastic waste and the growing climate crisis, SHOWA is investing heavily into Research & Development (R&D) for products with a reduced impact on the environment. An estimated 100 billion pairs of gloves are thrown away each year. Laid out end-to-end, that’s enough to stretch to the moon and back 30 times. Considering that these gloves take more than 100 years to biodegrade in a landfill, the amount of glove waste in landfills is expected to increase vastly with our growing population. In 2012, SHOWA launched its revolutionary Eco Best Technology® (EBT) and introduced the first biodegradable disposable nitrile glove in the market. Now, SHOWA expanded the amount of EBT gloves, offering the biggest biodegradable glove range in the market
INNOVATION, PROTECTION & PRESERVATION IN ONE
EBT offers the solution that makes a difference to the environment, without any compromise on protection and performance for the user.
SHOWA’s gloves with Eco Best Technology (EBT) are engineered for accelerated biodegradation in biologically active landfills. Independent certified laboratories performing long-term landfill biodegradation testing according to ASTM D5526-12 reported that Showa’s gloves with EBT achieved 82.0% biodegradation in only 386 days, while gloves without EBT achieved only 1.9% biodegradation over the same period of time. These results may not be indicative of future biodegradation.
“Initially, we launched the first biodegradable single use glove as a way to reduce the impact that these gloves have on the environment. We foresaw the need then, and encouraged our business partners to make more environmentally conscious decisions when purchasing hand protection,” explains Product Manager EMEA and single use gloves specialist, Gabriel Szelenyi.
Since then, the world has seen a massive increase in demand for products that are more sustainable or have a reduced impact on the environment, and not only for consumer products. Frost & Sullivan’s latest report on the European industrial hand protection market forecasts a “rising demand for Eco-friendly Gloves”.
R&D Manager and discoverer of EBT, Brian Moseley, further explains: “The Frost and Sullivan report highlights our EBT biodegradable nitrile gloves, but our commitment to sustainability remains a key component of our research and development strategy. We will expand the EBT technology across all suitable polymers within our expansive product portfolio. This way we can meet the demands of today, without compromising for tomorrow.”
SHOWA’S ECO BEST TECHNOLOGY: SAME GLOVE, BETTER FOR THE PLANET
Founded in 1954, SHOWA takes pride in developing high quality medical, cut resistant, general purpose, chemical resistant and specialty hand protection. Every SHOWA EBT glove is made with the same rigid quality controls and standards as its entire portfolio. That means the overall performance of the glove – its durability, comfort, grip and protection – stays exactly the same.
SHOWA offers the most extensive selection of biodegradable hand protection on the market, with the following seven EBT nitrile gloves, covering a wide range of applications, including food contact, and providing a more sustainable alternative for users:
- SHOWA 731: Created with premium-grade nitrile, SHOWA 731 brings you the pinnacle of tactile precision and high-capacity protection against solvents and acids. This glove is Ideal for working in wet, greasy and oily environments.
- SHOWA 707HVO: This glove blends the best of disposable and chemical resistant technology to deliver optimum fit, feel and comfort while protecting against liquids, chemicals, oils, hydrocarbons, grease, and abrasions.
- SHOWA NSK24: Providing excellent protection from a wide array of solvents, oils and acids, the SHOWA NSK24 is a super flexible, watertight, knit-lined nitrile glove. Now NSK24 incorporates EBT into its formulation and continues to offer high chemical and abrasion resistance with rough grip.
- SHOWA 6110PF: This green biodegradable 4 mil (0,10mm) single use nitrile glove delivers unmatched comfort, dexterity and performance across a range of applications. The SHOWA 6110PF protects against abrasive solvents while avoiding type I latex allergies.
- SHOWA 6112PF: This black biodegradable 4 mil (0,10mm) single use nitrile glove fits like a second skin, for lasting comfort and dexterity while performing delicate tasks. The SHOWA 6112PF is proven to protect against narcotics laced with Fentanyl and abrasive liquids.
- SHOWA 7500PF: The competitively priced SHOWA 7500PF was designed for all applications that frequently require changes in hand protection, thus creating the most waste. Offered in food-safe blue, it also leaves no silicone contamination.
- SHOWA 7502PF: With its accelerator-free formulation, this 2.5 mil (0,06mm) single use glove protects even the most sensitive skin. It is extremely lightweight, yet effectively protects against viruses, chemicals and dermatitis.
FEEL THE DIFFERENCE WITH SHOWA
The only difference between the gloves will be the impact it has on the environment.